Day 1 Reflections - Sophia Miyuki

Posted by Anonymous at 8:22 pm


  1. 3 words to describe today's experiences
    1. Chilly
    2. Eye-opening
    3. Exciting
  1. 3 highlights of the day
    1. The POSCO factory tour, where we saw the red hot iron slab getting flattened into thinner pieces and cooled with water. It was an eye-opening experience, one that we wouldn't be able to observe even from the TV. We felt the heat of the iron slab as we walked past the whole chain of processes. It was a nice warm feeling, a slight relief from the chilly weather.
      16 of us + teachers standing in front of the original POSCO building
    2. The Jagalchi market dinner. The food was 맛있어요 (delicious)! Even though I may have mistaken a raw kebab-looking meat stick for a satay stick and ate it raw, it was still unique! Especially because this was the first time I went to cook raw food for the meal.
      The yummmy delicious food.  맛있어요!
    3. Despite it seeming like a mundane thing, the bus ride was one of the highlights. From the moment we got out of the airport until we got to the hotel, we were in and out of the bus. It was exciting to look through the window and just see how Korea was like, it seemed like it was straight from the movie Train to Busan. 
      Me and my roommate Shanice on the bus.
  1. 3 things you've learnt about Korea
    1. South Korea was actually economically less fortunate than North Korea right after the separation. However, they started their steel industry and managed to build their economy get it running. By the 1970s they were on par with North Korea and right now, they are one of the more advanced countries in the world.
    2. Korea is colder than expected. The moment we stepped off the plane in Incheon, it was so cold. The pilot said it was -1 degrees celsius over there. Sometimes even though it might not be so cold (temperature wise) the presence of wind makes it colder.
    3. There's a wide variety of kimchi in Korea. Some are spicy and some are not.
  1. 3 things you've learnt about yourself
    1. I can take the cold better than expected. (Maybe it was because of the down jacket)
    2. I can take spicy food better than expected. (Maybe they made it less spicy for us)
      Our Group Eating our Lunch before POSCO museum and tour
    3. Cold weather means cold stiff hands, which makes it harder to write. Also I get cracked lips easily so I should apply more lip balm and drink more water.
  1. 3 things you didn't do so well
    1. I feel asleep on the POSCO tour. I tried to stay awake, yet I still fell asleep. Next time I will bring cold water in my bottle to place on my face to wake me up.
    2. I did not use as much Korean as I learnt like 감사합니다 (thank you) and 실례합니다 (excuse me)
    3. I did not ask as many questions as I thought I would. Especially on the POSCO tour.
  1. 3 things you look forward to tomorrow
    1. Meeting my buddy, I'm excited to experience life as a Korean student in Busan Science Highschool
    2. Eating more Korean food, all the meals we had today were extremely delicious.
    3. Wearing the Korean Hanbok, the traditional ceremony.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts